Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Honoring a School that Honored Me

On Saturday, I was fortunate enough to be honored by my alma mater, Salesian High School, at their 50th Gala Anniversary. The dinner at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles raised funds to help students with tuition costs at the Eastside Catholic boys school. Former student, Albert G. Alvarado, district director of the U.S. Small Businesses Administration, was also honored, as was the legendary brother, the late Thomas J. Keegan who served Salesian high school from 1958-1997. Growing up in Boyle Heights, I got into some trouble in middle school and attending Salesian literally changed the course of my life. The school’s Order of Saint John Don Bosco is dedicated to helping disadvantaged youth, and they certainly lived up to that at Salesian, taking thousands of “at-risk” boys and molding them into productive and socially conscious young men. I’ve often said, without Salesian, I never would have become a councilmember. I am forever indebted to the staff and brothers and sisters for all they’ve done for me. They were honoring me Saturday, but really I should be honoring them. I know my fellow Salesian brothers feel the same. Go Mustangs!