Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The 18th Annual Mariachi Festival: Music to My Ears

Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights is one of the most beautiful landmarks in my district. Each year, across the street from the Historic Boyle Hotel (built in 1889), we host world-renowned Mariachi bands for our Mariachi Festival. This year, I had the honor of introducing Mariachi Reyna de Los Angeles, an all female Mariachi group, and they were fantastic! The crowd really loved them. Jose Hernandez y su Mariachi Sol de Mexico closed the show and really got the crowd into it. I saw a lot of young mariachis watching this excellent group, no doubt learning all they could from the masters. Hundreds of people showed up for this year’s festival, including LAUSD School Board President Monica Garcia and L.A. County 1st District Supervisor, Gloria Molina. It’s a privilege for me to join with our many community partners to host this rich, cultural event. My wife Richelle and I had a great time listening to the music, watching the young folklorico dancers and talking to folks throughout the community. Que viva los mariachis!