Friday, March 27, 2009

Promise to Work on Behalf of All Angelenos on Metro Board

Yesterday morning Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa appointed me and Rita Robinson to the Metro Board of Directors, replacing outgoing directors, City Councilmember Bernard Parks and David Fleming. I want to thank my colleague Bernard Parks for doing such an outstanding job, and I know that Ms. Robinson is going to bring excellent hands-on transportation experience to the board. As for myself, I believe that any transportation plans we implement as a government body must be linked to smart growth and multimodal approaches that really take into consideration our region’s “big picture.” As a kid, growing up in a low-income family in Boyle Heights, I, along with family members depended on the area's public transportation. I have logged many miles and countless hours on the City’s buses and I promise to always keep in mind how our actions as a Board affect other people, kids, seniors, families, those who are in the same situation I once was – people who have no choice but to use our public transportation. So it’s very important to me that you know, the residents of Los Angeles -- that I will work on your behalf -- whether you live in the Valley, South L.A. or East L.A., I will do my absolute best to make sure that your interests are protected.